Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Don't call me "Bro", Bro.

Whenever something like the Superbowl rolls around It always gets me thinking about my lack of interest in conventionally "masculine" activities. Although I certainly don't reject it, I do not actively seek the companionship of other men. Understand, I have several very close male friends who's ideas, opinions and company I value very highly (you all know who you are) but they are all long term friendships. Over the last ten years or so, I think I've made one new male friend, while simultaneously I've made a number of new female friends. Curious, I know.

It's not so much that I prefer the company of women but rather, I prefer social situations in which both sexes are represented more or less equally. It's has been my experience, and I know I'm generalizing to some extent here, that in gatherings of exclusively men, the conversation is largely about sports which I find tedious in the extreme. Worse than that, in the absence of women, it's only a matter of time before latent sexism, if not outright misogyny, rises to the surface.

I don't really consider myself a feminist. Maybe I am. I don't know, and in some ways it's not for me to say. Rather it's that I cannot look upon the opposite sex as some sort of inexplicable "other". Yes, I realize that men and women are different (and vive le difference!) but that's only half the story. Actually the point is rendered moot with the simple realization that all human beings are individuals with their own thoughts and feelings independent from any other. I think higher of my species than to assume that character is entirely determined by gender. Oh and another thing, if you're over 25 and you look at every woman you meet as first and foremost, something to either fuck, or not, then you're a douchebag. Am I wrong here?

Despite what Camille Paglia says, I do not need the affirmation of other men to confirm my manhood. To my mind there is nothing more pathetic than a guy (especially as you approach your thirties) who has to surround himself with his "bros" at all times. This would explain why, as well produced a show as it is, I've never warmed up to "Entourage". The spectacle of these privileged child-men clinging to one another at the expense of maturity, intellectual growth and lasting relationships with women is kind of off putting. (On the flip side, "Sex and the City" is even worse, but that's a discussion for another time). This doesn't mean I can't or don't enjoy the company of male friends. Of course I do, it's just that I'm just as happy if you throw a few women in there.

Frankly, I'm something of a loner and I don't, as a rule, really seek out companionship of any kind.  However if and when it comes I welcome it wholeheartedly. Just don't ask me to play poker (holy shit I can't think of a bigger waste of time!) and do not, under any circumstances, call me "Bro".

Dude is okay. I like Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment