Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My "very pleased to meet you" list.

This is a list of people (in the arts, media, pop culture, what have you) that I like, but not just for their work. I like them as people. You know how there are some people you admire but you don't necessarily think that they'd be someone you'd like to know?  For instance, I have no idea what I'd say to Cormac McCarthy if we met, or Werner Herzog. I admire both of these men intensely, but I don't know what we'd have to say to one another. I guess what it comes down to, is that this is a list of people who (I think) I would like to meet and talk to. That's all. I'm not saying they're the best, or most important in their fields, it's just that I consistently like, not just their work, but what they have to say and the way they conduct themselves.

I've over explained haven't I? Oh well, let's get on with it then.















SARAH VOWELL    ( Author, Essayist, Journalist, Radio Personality)

A consistently delightful cultural commentator who I first observed trading quips with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, this native of Muskogee, Oklahoma is a frequent contributor to "This American Life" on NPR, author of six books and was the voice of Violet in Pixar's "The Incredibles. I've never read an interview or watched an appearance by her where she was less than completely engaging. Her primary topics are politics, history and occasionally pop culture and her take on all these is funny and accessible while remaining sharp and insightful. Anyway, I think it would be amazing to meet her and get her take on all the days events, perhaps over drinks or coffee. My only fear would be boring her. She strikes me as someone who does not suffer fools well.


















GUILLERMO DEL TORO   (Filmmaker, Author)

To listen to one of Del Toro's DVD commentaries is to get a master level lecture on, all aspects of film making, myths and legends, horror, pulp fiction, art and literature liberally sprinkled with earthy humour, self deprecating wit and lots of gratuitous "f-bombs".
Born in Guadalajara, Del Toro has risen from being a makeup artist for low budget Mexican television to one of the foremost names in horror and fantasy film making. All of his films from his most commercial (Blade 2, the Hellboy movies) to his most personal (Cronos, Pan's Labyrinth) display the unique visual style and unfettered imagination of a true artist. I would go as far as to say he's the best designer of monsters since the great Ray Harryhausen. He is also the co-author of  the "Strain Trilogy" a series of vampire novels combining his encyclopedic knowledge of folklore with a forensic obsession with realistic physical detail. They aren't great literature but they are pulp of a very high order. Nothing wrong with that.
On top of this he is a kind, generous hearted person who always has times for friends and fans, making him one of the most beloved people in the industry. I would love, more than anything to be taken on a guided tour of "Bleak House" his "man cave" where he stores all his treasures, from movie props to valuable antiques and rare books devoted to legends, myths, fairy tales and other esoterica.





















KARI BYRON   (Artist, Mythbuster, Stone Cold Hottie)

Smart, sexy, with a passion for science, education and high explosives. What's not to like?
Before Mythbusters, she graduated magna cum laude from San Francisco State University with a degree in film and sculpture. However, for the last seven years she's been joyously building, experimenting on and destroying all manner of things in the name of science and entertainment. She's even the host of her own show "Head Rush" on the science channel intended to get children and teenagers interested in science. Funny, charming and totally comfortable in her own skin, she'd be a lot of fun to spend a day with (at the bomb range of course.)
Oh yeah, and for my money she's the most attractive woman on television. Just sayin'.



















NEIL GAIMAN   (Writer, Geek Icon)

Of all the people on this list Neil Gaiman is probably the one with the most devoted fans. One of a small but important group of English writers who revolutionised the comic book industry, he first gained notoriety in 1988 with his brilliant series for DC, "The Sandman" which not only ranks as one of the greatest "graphic novels" of all time but is one of the key texts in modern fantasy literature. He has gone on to write, not only more outstanding comics, but screenplays, television scripts and several bestselling novels and short story collections. Also, his online journal is one of the most consistently entertaining blogs known to me.
Needless to say I am a fan of his work, but it's more than that. Every interview with him, blog post he's written or article about him I've ever read reveals a genuinely charming , humble and witty personality. Someone who is generous with both his time and talent, respectful and polite to fans and just a cool guy. Why wouldn't you want to meet him?

















KEVIN SMITH   (Filmmaker, Podcast Mogul, Racontuer)

Here's the thing about Kevin Smith. He's become, through his network of podcasts, an almost constant presence in my life. Basically I feel like I already know him, and even though he can be a bit annoying, even obnoxious, I like the guy. As an artist he's hit and miss. I like some of his films and find others almost completely uninteresting, but still my fondness remains. I like that a regular guy from a lower middle class background in New Jersey was able to scrape together enough cash to make a small, profane movie that hit a chord with his generation and that he's been able to spin that into a career spanning almost 20 years. I've watched and been to, a few of his Q&As and he's a great talker, frank and funny with a real talent for turning anecdotes into epic comic tales. His podcasts are rambling, dirty and completely hilarious. Kevin is like that guy we all know who can be a bit overbearing sometimes but is good hearted and fun to be around. Good guy.
















KIM MORGAN  (Movie Critic/Blogger)

Somewhere in the world there lives an ethereal blonde who's romantic ideal is  Warren Oates as "Bennie" the doomed anti-hero of Sam Peckinpah's "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia". What more do you need to know?
Okay, I'll tell you a little more. Her blog is entitled "Sunset Gun" and her writing is concise and insightful while never losing the passion of a real film fanatic. On her website you'll find outstanding essays devoted to particular, films, directors and actors, but also subjects as diverse as garage rock and classic muscle cars. She has appeared as guest host on Ebert and Roeper and hopefully will be a semi-regular comtributor to Ebert's new PBS show. Lately, she's also become something a muse for wildly eccentric Winnepeg filmmaker Guy Maddin, appearing in some short films and photo essays. If you have any interest in cinema or popular culture I highly recommend you visit her site.















PATTON OSWALT   (Comedian, Actor, Author)

First and foremost Oswalt is a brilliant stand up comic, one of my current favourites. I made the mistake of listening to some of his material on my iPod while riding on a crowded train and made quite the fool of myself trying, unsuccessfully, to stifle hysterical laughter. He's also a talented actor (check out his dramatic turn in the film "Big Fan", seriously, do it) and continues to grow as a writer. His first book of essays "Zombie, Spaceship, Wasteland" is frequently hilarious but also surprisingly poignant and confessional. An enthusiast of film, comics and literature, Oswalt and I have a lot in common and I think he's somebody with whom I could have a genuine conversation. In some interviews he does seem guarded but I think that's a question of respect.














NICK FROST, EDGAR WRIGHT & SIMON PEGG    (A fun trio of Englishmen)

Originally I was only going to write about Edgar Wright, filmmaker, encyclopedic movie geek and man after my own heart. However, after thinking about it, I had to include his friends and comrades-in-arms Pegg and Frost the co-stars of  "Spaced","Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz". On the DVD for "Hot Fuzz" there's a lengthy documentary following the three of them around the U.S.promoting the film and it's a joy. No matter how tired and frustrated they are by the endless and repetitive interviews, the amount of fun they  manage have is infectious and made me want to be there. I've enjoyed all of Edgar's films up to and including, "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" and will continue to seek out whatever he creates. It is is work with these other two clowns for which I have to most affection however, and I really look forward to their next project together. In particular, their TV show "Spaced' is one of my all time favourite pop culture creations and a subject I plan to write about sometime soon.
Oh, before I forget, Simon Pegg makes a splendid Scotty in the re-booted "Star Trek" franchise and his memoir "Nerd Do Well' is hilarious.


That'll do for know I guess. Like most subjects on this blog, I'm sure I'll revisit it some day. Some thoughts though:

I'm am very aware of how nerdy this list is. Wonder what that says about me? Anyway, it could be worse, I thought about including the cast of "Firefly".

No musicians, curious that. I think it's mainly because most of my favourite musicians are old, cranky and intimidating. I'm sure I'll think of somebody next time. Elvis Costello might be good.

Anybody who knows me well will have one question: "Where the hell is Tina Fey?"
Excellent question, but I think I'll save anything I have to say about Ms. Fey for a later date. For instance, I'm sure I'll write about 30 Rock one of these days.
Suffice to say, love her like crazy.

Anyway, feel free to name any of your own candidates in a comment below. After all, we're having a conversation here, aren't we?

6 comments:

  1. man, I've been wracking by little brain for two days trying to think of someone. there are plenty of people I admire/respect/envy, but every time I imagine meeting them it ends badly.

    that being said, if Kim Morgan calls you and says she's screening "Two-Lane Blacktop" or "Taxi Driver" or "Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia" at her place, make sure you give her my digits. got it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you visited "Sunset Gun" did you? Isn't she something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is.

    I had actually stumbled across her site before and shook my head in wonder. I still don't think she's real, but some sort of cyber-hoax made up to drive guys like us bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of one: Dylan Moran.

    and Kim Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was arrogant of me to assume you hadn't heard of Ms. Morgan before I wrote about her. Apologies. Pretty sure she's real, I've seen her on tv a couple of times.
    Dylan Moran would be awesome under the right circumstances although he does strike me as cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. no problem, I'm used to your arrogance.....




    I kid!

    ReplyDelete