Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The October Project 2: The Sequel

Well it's October again, my favourite time of year and a good excuse to dust off this long-ignored blog thing and create yet another list of 31 horror films for you to enjoy. Perhaps this time I should say 'horror" because after the last 31 this list will, by necessity, be a little more eccentric, filled with oddities, cult items and a few ancient classics. Still, I stand by my choices, be they acknowledged cinema milestones or the most disreputable trash. So lets begin:



"I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Things a boy shouldn't see. I was like any other kid; I didn't believe in the boogeyman. Then the world woke up to a nightmare."

Stake Land (2010)
Directed by Jim Mickle

A survival-horror tale set in a world overrun with feral vampires, Stake Land doesn't exactly break new ground but is executed without a false step. The tone is tough and gritty and the danger, whether from the undead or fellow humans, always seems terrifyingly real. All the characters are well drawn especially the charismatic vampire hunter known only as "Mister" played by Nick Damici the film's co-writer. In terms of world building his film accomplishes in 98 minutes what has taken The Walking Dead 3 seasons. An underseen gem waiting to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment